Monday, May 21, 2012

PEOPLE FIRST

ANOTHER HIATUS BUT HERE I AM

A few months ago, my mother moved in with me. She is 85, lovely still for her age, but took a nasty fall causing her to shatter her arm and shoulder. My house is new, happens to have an elevator, so her living with me was a no-brainer. And although the first few days she tried to let my three cats out of the house--for good--now she enjoys their company, and confides in me that they listen to her when she talks to them. Rose: the cat whisperer.

She has mended well.

Of course, my lifestyle had to change. But I have dealt with it, and it no longer is as anxiety filled as it initially was. She loves to clean and cook. She watches the news obsessively, and reads four papers a day. On Sundays we watch CELEBRITY APPRENTICE together, as I listen to her calling all of the loudmouths a disgrace; and daily, she puts out water and treats for the kitties, and even calls me at work when she thinks they have taken ill: "You better take Blu to the vet--she is sick; I can tell."

Speaking lesson:

We communicate to human beings and we must reach them at a very humane level. Amidst all the facts and fuss of a presentation, and while we bring audiences together at new venues where we share time together, we must let the audience know, each and every one of them, that we care about them as human beings, we care about them as learners, and in every way we want them to not only enjoy our talk but also to feel comfortable in our presence for every second we are up there.

There: I let the cat out of the bag. Welcome them with open arms, minds, and hearts, and they will open up to you and what you offer as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment