Saturday, January 7, 2012

ELEMENTARY, MY DEAR WATSON.

I love these films.

On the way out of fmills amc movie theatre, i noticed that my car lights were flickering, and then. . .  i saw a family. . .get into my Sonata. Thank God I realized, as I was about to stop them, that their car,  which was identical to mine, was actually next to mine. This led to a funny exchange, then to an admission of our mutual admiration of the film, and to their suggestion that I see the new BBC Sherlock. 

What I love about this flick is the witty repartee, the understated acting during even the wildest of moments. And I adore the metatheatricality. Being able to act out a vision is an awesome literary technique--the calculated self-conscious act of acting. Some see this as a high tech take on Holmes that undermines its integrity; I see it as a copacetic union of brainy forethought and brawn.

I already have found a link to the Brit version: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00999wm
I can't wait to see it.

There are a few speech lessons to be learned from this film. The main one is this. Maintain your cool under pressure. Class goes a long way.

When things go awry mid-speech, more than anything you need your alertness to pull you through it. You can't break down, cry, cuss, or storm out the door. Instead, you need to think, in an instant, "how do I fix this" and  "how do I make it look easy?"

A second lesson involves humor. Acknowledging an error with a simple (maybe self effacing) witticism generally provides not only a way out of the bind, one the the audience will appreciate, but also gives you a few seconds for the strategic part of our brain to regroup and to get back on track. 

No comments:

Post a Comment